5ml channel asp/disp question

@Rishi - See below for a download link containing a demo method that shows some simple implementations of pipetting high dynamic volume ranges.

Demo method - high dynamic volume range processing

When you import, a helper SMT library will also import alongside the method called ‘HighVolumeHelper.smt’. I wrote this to contain a couple functions that will process an array of volumes (ranging from relatively small, to much greater than what a 5mL tip could transfer in a single aspiration/dispense).

Depending on the situation (reagent aliquot vs sample transfer) this function will modify the volume array and corresponding sequences to account for volumes that exceed the capacity of the liquid class. Essentially, positions/volumes that exceed the maximum supported volume will be replicated an appropriate amount of times, with transfer volumes modified accordingly to achieve the required total volume for the well/container.

Note that the function does not optimize the sequence for optimal transfer efficiency (to account for positions in the same y coordinate or random access limitations that 5mL channels can sometimes cause), but I programmed a couple different transfer options. One shows the simplest possible code, perming a reagent aliquot of varying volumes to an unoptimized sequence. The other (which is disabled in the linked demo method) shows an optimized approach using the popular STAR Channel Tools library of the STAR Tools Suite, which optimizes each transfer for best efficiency, as well as channel access.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Nick

1 Like