Checksum Verification Troubleshooting

Hi,

It has traditionally been standard practice for PyHamilton users to disable checksum verification in order to use the Venus universal method that provides an API to the Hamilton robot. In general, checksum verification will block run control from running the universal method. I would like to know if there is a way to ship our package without requiring users to do this, in case they need to use checksum verification. @melinda.rivera and others at GSK are also wondering this question.

I’d also like to understand the potential use-cases of checksum verification and whether it is advisable to avoid this entirely.

Thanks as always,
Stefan

Hello @Stefan,

From Hamilton’s standpoint, Checksum Verification is a necessary feature for regulatory compliance and to ease the submission process for individual labs or projects seeking IVD (or IVD-R) labeling, as well as just generally any laboratory adhering to 21 CFR Part 11 guidelines, specifically “Validation of systems to ensure accuracy, reliability, consistent intended performance, and the ability to discern invalid or altered records”:

What does PyHamilton do that invalidates the Checksum of Hamilton files? Which files are impacted?

~William

1 Like

I don’t know what causes the checksum invalidation (or what could cause it). It seems like a checksum validation would need two checksums, one for the method being tested and one as a reference point to test against. I understand in general how this could be used for regulatory compliance, but not how it is being used in Venus.

The universal method here is the one that gives checksum errors.

Was this file modified externally from Method Editor (e.g. Any other Text Editor such as Notepad++)? Method Editor generates the checksum when you save, so it should remain valid as long as it’s not edited with another program. Can you send the exact error message and when you are receiving this error?

1 Like

Ah that’s a really good suggestion, I’ll try to reproduce the error on my end with that in mind.