cLLD Error Codes

Hello,

I had a question about the error codes presented while predefined error handling is in place for LLD. From the two screen grabs below, I have highlighted the relevant information. The error codes follow a pattern such as E:PX:XX/XX:Bottom or E:PX:XX/XX:Available. The first two indicators are just for error and the specific channel in which the error state is affecting. I am curious if any additional information can be extracted from the two numbers (e.g. 120/70 and 06/71 from the screen grabs)? I can’t seem to find any specific references for what these codes mean in the ‘Help’ function of the single command or the Programmer’s Manual. Any insight for extra information to pull out from these errors would be helpful. Thanks!

@bp11 - When there is an error associated with a pipettor-arm based component or autoload, there are two levels of context for the error. There is a high-level error code coming from the top level of the controller network that facilitates system-wide communication, and low-level error codes that are specific to the particular component that reported the error.

The first error code (##/##) is the high-level error, which provides a general description or context to the error. These are more generic and can apply to various components. The second error code (##/##) is the code for the low-level error, that provides the most discrete level of context for the error, and is specific to the particular component (1mL channel 2, 5mL channel 3, iSWAP etc).

Oftentimes, for routine errors like your case (no liquid found, insufficient liquid) the high level error code is enough to specify the nature of the error, without needing the low level error. In some scenarios, both are needed, as a high-level error code for “hardware error” can have several different root error causes for different components, or even the same component.

In your case:
P5:102/70 → 1ml channel 5:Liquid level error/No liquid level found
P6:06/71 → 1ml channel 6:Insufficient liquid error/Not enough liquid present

For 1mL channels, here are some common low-level error codes and descriptions for commands that use them:

-Nick

4 Likes

@NickHealy_Hamilton great description and answer to the question per usual, Nick. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes