Dynamically change the barcode mask for tip racks

Hello,

I am running a protocol that uses sterile and non steril tips. I would like to check the correct tips are loaded at the beginning of the protocol. I could use different carriers for the tips, but i was wondering if it was possible to assign barcode masks to a tip rack. The user would select the tip type, and it would assign the barcode mask. During the loading, the autoload would check for new assigned barcode mask and if it’s not matching, flags the error.

Thanks for any suggestions.

If I understand your question correctly, you’re asking whether it’s possibel to dynamically change the barcode mask of a labware while a method is running? This can be done with the HSLDevLib. It contains a function called “DevSetBarcodeData” (and a few variants with different input options): “Sets the barcode mask for the instance of labware at a position.” I haven’t used it myself, but from the description I’d say it does what you want to do.
I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks Julian for your suggestion. I have tried the DevLib but it didnt work for me. I could be doing something wrong. However, the labware barcode mask is set in the .lay file , while the Devlib makes modifications in the .hsl. I am wondering if that is my issue. When the autoload scans the barcode, does it uses the barcode mask of the .lay file or does it use the value assigned in the .hsl file?

There is work-around my problem, like loading labware in different carriers, but I was wondering if they were other solutions.

Thanks

That’s unfortunate that it doesn’t work for you, can you post a screenshot of the code where you use the DevLib command? Just to exclude that there’s a mistake there (i.e. barcode masks being set for the individual sequence positions rather than for the whole rack).

Here’s an example that works for me (in simulation at least, unfortunately I can’t test it on a system atm):
This example traces the original barode mask from the .lay file in the first trace statement and the new mask in the second trace statement.

1 Like