Fixing labware file dependencies

It’s not a crazy story, but my old company had a very strong relationship with Hamilton that may have had unforeseen consequences. We often sent methods back and forth, and directly to engineers to assist with applications development, I think this is where all the trouble started.

When trying to develop methods for customers, it’s common to try to isolate interaction between different development projects - we did this with subfolders within Hamilton’s Method folder. What we didn’t fully understand at the time was exporting/importing and how it would duplicate libraries and labware within these folders when sending over to customers.

One of our development folders, the “Jeff” folder and eventually the “Jeff2” folder, held a lot of our base methods that became framework for a lot of customer projects. We used it frequently, and it started creeping into customer development folders as a reference for commonly used libraries (sequence, tracing, etc…). It became so prolific, that it became a sort of “virus” in that we started seeing it pop up at customer sites that we had never actually been to. I had personally seen installs at customer sites that had literally never had contact with the company contain this folder.

So if you ever run into a Jeff, Jeff2, or Clemson2 folder… now you know why.

9 Likes