Hamilton Tilt Module

Has anyone integrated one of the Hamilton tilt modules before?

We are a little confused setting it up: is it intended to plug directly into our STAR via RS232, or do we control it directly over RS232 port on our computer?

We’ve gotten it to work via serial commands directly from our computer. Is this how the integration works for VENUS?

2 Likes

Hi Ben,

The RS-232 plugs into the computer. There is a driver to control it and I uploaded a simple device test method as well.

-Eric

2 Likes

Slight aside, the HSLLabwrAccess library has a tilt sub-method for adjusting coordinates on tilted plates in venus, takes a little dialing but easier than busting out SOH-CAH-TOA to figure out where your well bottoms are at.

4 Likes

Quick follow up question–where would I find the labware definition (.rck and .ctr files) for the tilt module?

The tilt module is a carrier, so it would be a .tml definition. You can define it using the Multiflex Carrier Assistant tool depending on how you set it up on the Multiflex base plate along with other modules.

-Eric

2 Likes

Yes we have even 4 on 1 hamilton. Also @LukeWitt : u remeber the fun days where u integrated that?

Good times! :smiley:

Great little units, a little tricky to get the coordinates right but super useful once they’re up and running!

1 Like

Hi All. Sorry to resurrect this old topic, but I do have followup questions about this. First, thank you @EricSindelar_Hamilton for posting the driver, that was very helpful to review!

Is there a manual or list of the hardware specifications anywhere? I can see from poking in the help files for the driver that it can tilt 0-10 degrees, and that it can incubate at temperatures ranging from 10C-50C.

Also, is there still a controller box required between the Tilt modules and the PC? That is pictured in the driver that you posted.

Finally, are there different versions of the Tilt Module available (temperature controlled and non temperature controlled)? The driver shows two different versions, of libraries, one that is “TiltModuleAmbientMultiDaisyChained v12” and one that is “DaisyChainedTiltModule v14”. But the Hamitlon website only lists one MFX Tilt Module (Part # 188061APE).

Thanks!

While the driver has functions for temp control, the standard product does not have such functionality. It simply tilts 0-10 degrees.

Yes, you still need a control box.

The version of the driver used in the example method I included should be the “DaisyChainedTiltModule v14” which installs a HSLDaisyChainedTiltModule.hsl library.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes