Handling Clot Errors

During our blood extraction method, we occasionally have samples that have clots during transfer from source tube to a deep well plate. The default error handling for clot errors is not desired. Is it possible to eject the tip that detected a clot, get a new tip and try aspirating from that same source tube again? If it is possible, how would I go about doing that?

Hi @Wes ,

Short answer is this can be handled using User Error Handling and setting the recovery to be Cancel. I have put together an example that should help explain the steps better that can be downloaded from the link below:

https://download.hamiltonsupport.com/wl/?id=RNr77f5XpZ7rdvaKF4POmJjxIo1aEE4J

The example method is configured such that you can specify the number of retries it will make before moving on.

I hope this helps!

3 Likes

I share another handling way that my colleague did, which I think was easier. Set default error handling of clot to exclude in aspirate step, then clotted sample will be excluded or skiped when dispensing, and all other samples will be transfered to right positions. With step of get channel exclude state in Miscellaneous, you can get pattern of exclude channels and step data of recovery details. Using the pattern, and the sequences for pipetting (without any modification), you can do other operation on the clotted samples after picking up new tips.

2 Likes

Hi @BrandonBare_Hamilton thank you for responding. I was able to download the example file, but I’m having trouble opening the method after importing the pkg file. I keep getting this vague error, screenshot below.

Hi @Wes ,

My apologies. It seems one of the libraries the method used was still in an older version of Venus that is causing that issue. Importing this pkg for the Channel Patterns Library and overwriting what you have on your computer will fix the issue. Easiest way to ensure it is updated is to delete the folder “C:\Program Files (x86)\HAMILTON\Library\Channel Pattern” prior to importing the pkg below.

https://download.hamiltonsupport.com/wl/?id=WVi4wfQoEDcBOc4ALyxloPTYHQ0Ed08j

2 Likes

Thank you @BrandonBare_Hamilton! I’ll have to test this out!