Liquid Handling Software Toy Problem (Difficult)

In FC 3.1: Commands → Programming → Create API Channel

Thisthe SiLA connector and link to the Jupyter Notebook.

There are pro’s (it’s cool) and con’s (FCA only, lack of parallel behavior) but we talked about deserializing and serializing information… well here we go.

1 Like

Wait does this allow me to control a TECAN from a computer connected to the internet using Python, or control a TECAN from a computer connected to the instrument using Python.

@smohler you could build a script that ask users which machine they are running the protocol on and this would feed into FCA only or MCA only scripts as well as a logic gate for if you are running Task 1, Task 2 or both. It should not be difficult to do. I will see how quick this is to pull together to be comparable.

I think I am use to looking at the more efficient method as most people end scaling their process so speed and worktable space becomes a factor.

First one is possible as long as the second one is possible because you can always host a server that takes commands over the internet and sends them to the machine.

1 Like

You could, but the challenge also restricted the number and type of UI screens you get.

One script for both instruments with minimal UI, so all variable held in a file called Iggy-Ziggy.xlsx
Ziggy Task 1 and 2:

Personally, I would only every run the above process for Task 1 and 2, as simulating this only confirmed that Izzy is the wrong tool for Task 2, painfully slow!

Iggy Task 1 and 2:

Basic script logic structure and import file variable:

Script MCA96 partials pickup with Task 1. Same structure as the FCA script but MCA commands and a few bits of Maths changed for variables for column offsets.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Here’s a video showing how I would build this. It is in Synthace so if anyone here wants the solution just ping me a message.

Iggy is the Tecan
Ziggy is the Hamilton

One UI - the Synthace UI, and 3 inputs.

“define liquids and plates”
“aliquot”
“mix onto”

One confirmation screen - the simulation view validating the experiment’s feasibility and a user can see the exact steps that will be executed.

Task 1 and task 2 is represented there in the video.

I also show the HARD-MODE where we have to change tips or if we run into supply issues and Synthace showing errors when things are not feasible - protecting me from wasting my precious samples in the lab.

7 Likes

This is definitely becoming my favorite thread on the website! Can’t wait till we start to see all vendors and multiple different approaches. :heart: