Lunatic Chip Loading on Fluent

I think this could be a great question for any liquid handler!

Immediate question does anyone have the labware file for a Lunatic Chip on hand?

@smohler : if still applicable let me know and I can send the labware files to you for importing on Fluent.

We proofed one out at this point, but OMG! @KevMcGuire_Tecan are you a real TECAN representative similar to some of the Hamilton reps on this channel!

@Stefan this is huge! We’ve expanded from 1 vendor to 2! #champagne

2 Likes

hi kevin, did you make any progress looking for labware file for Lunatic plate ?

Hey folks,
I don’t have a labware file for the lunatic but a related question. We are loading lunatic plates using our Biomek i7 for DNA concentration measurements, but I am struggling with failing measurements. I noticed that failing measurements are caused by a bubble getting trapped in the detection area. Has anyone observed similar problems with the lunatic chips, and maybe found a solution?

Cheers,
Greg

If there’s a bubble, it might be caused by the airgaps in your dispense step. Blowout air, transport air?

for dispensing into a microfluidic chip, i would suggest the following:

• do not aspirate a leading air gap
  • do not aspirate a transport/trailing air gap
  • over-aspirate sample by 1-2 uL
  • upon dispense, make sure 1-2 uL remains in the tip
  • slow down dispense speed, acceleration, deceleration etc to keep dispense super slow e.g. 1 second to dispense
  • use a longer delay after dispense
  • add a 500-750 ms delay post dispense
5 Likes

Sorry just joined this forum so catching up on all the interesting queries. I originally developed this at GSK on EVOs with the Trinian system and rolled this out to EVOs and Fluents with integrated Lunatic.

It is a bit trickly as the liquid class needs to be optimised in a very non-natural way. Manually they use 2ul but the minimum we managed while maintaining accuracy of results was with 3ul. You get worst CV the high volume you use as it floods the channels.

So they need to dispense very slowly to create a 3ul droplet of sample on the end of the tip. This should be done just within the small well. You then have to introduce a side well touch to allow surface tension to pull the droplet of the tip, before retracting.

If you try dispensing too low volume it end up forcing sample past the priming channel and you get a lot of fails. So the side well touch is necessary to let the surface tension naturally fill the priming channel.

Took me a long time to work this out but was rarely getting a well fail so this was rolled out across a number for EVO and Fluent systems at GSK and Thermo integrated systems. It is not a trade secret just painful know how.

Hope this helps, I think I have a liquid class tucked away but might take me a while to dig out?

4 Likes

@KevMcGuire_Tecan, is it easy to get these Lunatic labware files from Unchained Labs? And do you know what the best software or program to handle the data coming off the Lunatic in regards to normalization?

@FTA_Automation : send me your email address and I’ll send you the labware files. I’ve got no recommendation on normalization software I’m afraid.

2 Likes

@FTA_Automation You can do calculations in EVOware or Fluent Control by storing variable for Dilution and sampleVol and reading a file 8 lines at a time for a looped aspirate/dispense. EVOware does have normalisation add-on module and Fluent Control has a built in Normalisation wizard so if you are looking for a in built solution these are quick options. If you have a LIMS system most will calculate and push out worklist files?

Example of scripted normalisation calculations in Fluent Control:

3 Likes