More Categories

Definitely think we need some more vendor categories for some of the more common equipment out in the labs!

• :cat: Dynamic Devices (Lynx)
  • Beckman-Coulter (Biomek & Echo)
  • Cellario
  • Formulatrix
1 Like

Biosero Green Button Go Scheduler and Orchestrator

2 Likes

See category @Schdulers and start a topic

1 Like

Would also be great to see a “Marketplace” section split into two sub groups. “Equipment” and “Services”.

There is a large third party market for equipment, service, and apps development. It would be great to see a place for them here.

Also an addition of strict rules for the site that these types of posts and discussions are only allowed in the Marketplace section.

Just a thought!

2 Likes

I like that.

Ok they’re both up

1 Like

I would like to suggest to make a new category called “Sustainability” that could cover how to make automation more sustainable - for example looking into how to re-use consumables like plates, pipette tips etc. For example, the plasma-cleaning technology from IonField Systems mentioned by @randob here: Hamilton Mixing 96-Head Retraction - #7 by randob

4 Likes

Do we think that setting up a category for 3D printers is useful too? Or would that be outside the scope of this forum?

1 Like

I believe 3D printing is sort of lumped in with the DIY group.

1 Like

True! But my sense is there is a big enough market for printed parts that some of it may fall outside of DIY. If a company hosts a platform with validated .STL files that they have designed, and a client prints a piece from this site, that’s probably not DIY

1 Like

Thanks @JDesRo , I clearly still have jetlag :upside_down_face:

I’m taking a 3D printing Short Course at SLAS, so the thought came up. Thanks!

2 Likes

@UCantBcereus new category is up btw

@HenningGramHansen I’ll have to think a little about what sort of content would go in here, it makes a lot of sense but I don’t know if sustainability is quite the right word here. Something like cost-saving, budget tips, etc. Or maybe sterility? This all fits under Process Engineering in any case.

2 Likes

Lab Automation on a Budget

Sounds like something you’d see on a TikTok

3 Likes

@Stefan I guess it is fine if Sustainability becomes a subtopic under Process Engineering. I don’t think cost-saving, budget tips or sterility are the right words for what I have in mind. Some suggestions: Sustainable Automation; Green Automation; Automation Goes Green; Automation::Sustainably.

Content examples:
Plate and tip cleaner equipment: For example Grenova Solutions and IonField Systems
Ecological footprint of automated vs manual workflows: Life-cycle-analysis (LCA)
Plastic recycling: For example for 3D printing or vendor take-back initiatives
Reduce packaging materials: Discuss how to push manufacturers to reduce the use of packaging materials (for example tips racks or Hamilton’s blister packaging)

2 Likes

Ok I’m sold, I’ll give it a shot

2 Likes

@Stefan could I suggest a more focused new technology area. I have recently move work from traditional Lab liquid handling technology to digital microfluidics, lab-on-a-chip and nano/pico arraying technology space. There does not appear to be an education or community space to discuss the pros and cons of this new technology.

Plus almost all these new spaces are built on python and Java so seems a good fit. The earlier research nature means they are also finding a space to open source the application research as platforms are being built for robustness. So for me it feels like a community space that is lacking but high value?

So either new technology or miniaturisation liquid handing or mircofluidic technology space. Not sure what totally work as a grouping or if this need to be separated out as a different offering to liquid handing?

1 Like

I think microfluidics would be excellent. I guess that broadly captures all of the topics you mentioned. Huge space overall but we can split into more categories if desired.

1 Like

@Stefan how do you feel about an area for papers/research?

Could be based.

4 Likes

Yeah I think that would be good

1 Like

How about a category for tips on getting scale, quality control, documentation, and QA? Were people can ask questions and share best practices about these nuanced parts of automation, especially in regulated environments.

1 Like

Good idea @Brad! areas people on the forum are focused on:
“production” (writing robust code that produces statistically significant scientific insights),
“production-IVD” (complying with in vitro diagnostics regulations)
“production-gmp” (complying with even more restrictive good manufacturing practice regulations)

1 Like