On-Deck camera

@NickHealy_Hamilton was testing this at one of our offices. My understanding is that the specific Akaso camera didn’t have a lot of options with the video capture application that the library uses. We haven’t had a chance to try it with other cameras yet.

Nick, please clarify and correct as needed.

This is an accurate summary.

We are currently evaluating more USB cameras to see which will be most compatible and will report back.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, would love to hear the results of your testing!

@EricSindelar_Hamilton : I ask hamilton to make this standard. they said no, can u make this happen?

In the meantime i tested Labeye and they are awesome.

Also we used a third party and put camera outside which cover everything.

They said no to what? An On Deck camera?

The ML Prep by Hamilton actually has an integrated camera but similar to it’s competitors, it only lets you confirm deck positions. At the moment, you need third party software to achieve added functionality.

Hi Kalpesh,
It is planned in the near future to add vision for monitoring and labware recognition as a standard offering like in the PREP for our other platforms. Please talk to us at SLAS for more details!
Thanks,
-Eric

1 Like

Hello Eric,
This is awesome news. I am happy to meet and talk about this or even can be beta tester if that helps

1 Like

They said no for Star and Vanatge for now. I am looking and working on some other ways but not sure what will be the end result

Here are more ideas how LabEye can be used to increase robustness during run-time.

2 Likes

Hi Eric,
could you share a few more pictures of how you installed the camera on the arm?
I am particularly interested how you routed the cable out of the system.
Can probably figure it out by myself, but if you already round a “safe” route then that would be helpful.

Hi Ben,

See below for some images. Not shown is that we took the lower mounting screws off the back panel and use spacers to leave a ¾” gap by the X-rail for the camera cord to drop down.

Hope this helps!

-Eric

5 Likes

Also, we recently designed and 3D printed a bracket for the camera - see below for a more recent pic and here for the stl file.

7 Likes

Thank you Eric, very useful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @EricSindelar_Hamilton ,

This is great. Are you planning to show case in SLAS? or can we get this for a trial?

Thanks,
Kalpesh

1 Like

Hi Kalpesh,

This is a custom solution that we set up at our training site in Franklin to assist with demonstrations during our software courses. I just wanted to share the 3D print file and info due to the interest. At SLAS, I recommend you connect with our product management team in regards to our plans for formally incorporating camera solutions to our platforms. I will be there and would be happy to make the introductions!

Thanks,

-Eric

Sound good. Thanks

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but what are some cameras that people have used in the past? I am currently looking for a camera that can do cloud recording 24/7. So far, the best that I’ve used in the past has been the Nest cam. The only issue is that it requires a personal Google account…It seems like my choices are pretty narrow:

• Arlo - great cameras. can record on the cloud 24/7, but cannot download clips
  • Wyze - affordable and can record on the cloud, however, clips are limited to 5 mins with paid subscriptions
  • Eufy - no personal experience with their cameras personally, but have used their other produce before and was never impressed. There is a homebase that seems to have software issues connecting to their cameras
  • Ring - no continuous recordings
  • Blink - no continuous recordings

I might have to settle with a Lorex doorbell recorder with a NVR/DVR.

1 Like

Check out Ubiquiti/Unifi. It’s what we use. We have 15+ cameras setup to monitor instrument runs. Can see live video from bowser and on phone.

3 Likes

Can it continuously record 24/7?

Yes. It has a mic that you can permanently disable, and webapp also indicates when there was movement in front of the webcam. The storage is pretty scalable depending on the setup you choose. You have get several days of video storage.

1 Like