Programming a Column Serial Delution with CO-RE 96

I guess in general I break it down into loops and your standard mix before mix after and be careful not to transport too much air.

→ If you’re talking about scripting in general, try to break down the process into repeatable steps; so for instance Mix@Source>Aspirate>Dispense>Mix@Dest, rinse repeat. As long as you can loop and iterate along that loop to assign source and destinations in a modular way, you can create something worthy of copy/paste into future methods.

A really low level example would be something like

loop i where i = 1 to 11
Mix at column i
aspirate at column i
dispense at column i+1
mix at column i+1
Next i

With that you’ve broken down a 12-step serial dilution into 6 lines and all you need to do is change volumes to your need. It’s better practice to get new tips every time if you’re not using super low volumes, so adapt the script as needed.

→ If it’s technique issues, I’d recommend referring to section 6.3 of Hamilton’s Liquid Handling Reference Guide that’s linked around this forum frequently (Liquid handling guide). Besides that, try to mimic your manual pipetting steps and avoid bubbles/volume loss. Every experiment has unique goals and constraints so be sure to define goals and understand practically what your finish line is - equivalent or better - which can apply to many things from yield to CV to time savings.

1 Like