Release Notes for Venus and Nimbus96

Hi Everyone,

I’m going through the process upgrading the versions of Venus and Nimbus96 that we use within our company. Due to the regulation of our industry our effort to do this must be heavily documented.

One of the pieces of documentation that I need to produce is a review of all release notes between the versions we’re running and the versions we’re moving to.

Is any able to help me get hold of all of the release notes for?:

• Venus Two to Venus Five
  • Nimbus96 Version 5.3.7.0 to 8.0.5.0

Thank you for any help you’re able to give!

Hello,

I have uploaded the version histories here.

Thank you,

-Eric

2 Likes

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for the version histories! That should get my January off to a good start.

Looking at the version histories got me thinking about the twisted path of software naming over the years. I noticed in another thread that VENUS is an acronym for Vector NEw USer software and the predecessor of VENUS was of course Vector. My question is, where and how does Phoenix fit into things? The software package as a whole is referred to as VENUS but when you open the Version Information application it lists two software components with one being Phoenix and the other ML_STAR. What actually are those two components and where does the naming come from?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply!
Will

Hi Will,

Phoenix is actually the name of the underlying software for Vector/VENUS. The ML_STAR software contains the device commands for the STARline platform. When you create a system deck, you select ML_STAR as the instrument/device. Linking that system deck to a method would allow you access to the ML_STAR commands.

There are other devices supported by Phoenix and if they are installed, then they would also show up in the Version Information screen. However, for the most part, control for other devices is handled by HSL libraries.

I hope that helps clarify things!

-Eric

Thanks for the extra info Eric - that helps make sense of it I think.

Cheers,
Will

Hello,
We recently updated our Venus software and can no longer connect to your Nimbus robot. Is there a Venus package specific for the Nimbus? If so is there a place we can download it?

@cdobrow - I need a few more details before being able to provide further instruction.

• Is this PC intended only to control a NIMBUS? Or are you using this PC to control additional Hamilton platforms (STAR/VANTAGE) with their respective software?
  • What type of NIMBUS do you have?
  • What installer did you just run and what software were you running prior to attempting this upgrade?

Thanks.

-Nick

Hey @NickHealy_Hamilton,
Thank you for the reply! I have answered your questions below:

• Is this PC intended only to control a NIMBUS? Or are you using this PC to control additional Hamilton platforms (STAR/VANTAGE) with their respective software?

This PC is just running a NIMBUS at the moment.

• What type of NIMBUS do you have?

We have a 4 span Nimbus (P/N 62797-01)

• What installer did you just run and what software were you running prior to attempting this upgrade?
    We used the Microlab STAR V4.5 upgrade to upgrade from V4.4.

Normally I wouldn’t upgrade, however our V4.4 was very corrupt. Ideally, we would like to upgrade the software to the highest we can if possible.

@cdobrow - VENUS for STAR is an independent software suite for the STAR platform and cannot be used for NIMBUS. They use separate software packages that have independent versioning, so V4.5 for STAR and V4.4 for NIMBUS is merely coincidence. Furthermore, while there are some combinations of NIMBUS and STAR software that can be installed on the same PC simultaneously, these software versions are unfortunately not compatible, which is why your NIMBUS Channel SW installation has lost functionality.

Both software packages will need to be fully uninstalled before a new instance of NIMBUS software can be installed to restore functionality. If you do not have recent or valid backups of your methods and liquid classes, you will need to make backups prior to uninstalling.

Can you send me a direct message containing your system’s serial number? This will help determine which versions of software your system is compatible/eligible for.

-Nick

Hey @NickHealy_Hamilton,
Thank you for the information. Sorry about the confusion, the software packages are hard to follow. I will send a private message with the serial number now.

Thank you!