Transfer Robustness and Real-time Volume Verification

That’s my general rule, don’t go below 10% of the tip.

However if you must, there’s a lot of optimizations that should be performed but also assay optimizations to verify you’re okay if something is even slightly off.

1 Like

Liquid class for aqueous transfers 1.0 < vol < 5.0.

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing that, just so that I know the full picture are you happy to share the other details of the transfer? Do you prime (i.e. pre-rinse/mix on aspirate) those aspirations? Do you mix on dispense to rinse out the tip? Is that used with a fixed height aspirate / dispense? With that 2uL blowout I assume you use ‘dispense remaining volume’ instead of a defined volume dispense? Is this surface dispense into dry wells or into liquid?

Sure.

• We do not prime low volume transfers. We will only prime for volatile liquid (any volume) to minimize dripping.
  • Depends. If we are pipetting reagent into a liquid then yes we will mix to ensure a homogeneous solution. In the cases where we transfer 2uL to a stunner plate we do not mix because the solution is already homogeneous.
  • We track the volume of each well in our methods so every aspirate / dispense is at a known height. Typically we aspirate and dispense 2mm below the liquid level.
  • We’ve found it to work either with dispense remaining and dispense volume.
  • Stunner plate is a dry well. All other low volume transfers are always a surface dispense into a liquid if possible.

I do want to be clear this was a starting liquid class provided by Hamilton. We adjust it here and there depending on our solution composition.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay! See this link for a few videos from our MagPip training. Please note, that these are not promotional videos - we were just playing around with some of the challenges and wanted to share. We are planning on hosting a formal webinar in the new year to cover MagPip in more detail and we will be showing it at SLAS again. In the meantime, please reach out to me with any questions!

Tests were run using VENUS 6. Videos include the following:

• MagPip WhiPip mode 8 channels, 384-well format, variable volumes per aliquot
  • MagPip WhiPip mode 8 channels, 96-well format, variable volumes per aliquot
  • MagPip WhiPip mode 2 channels, 96-well format, fixed volumes per aliquot
7 Likes

Hi!
I’m happy to hear that you are interested in the DISPENDIX’s I.DOT, and I would like to share some perks of having one in your lab. The I.DOT liquid handler is designed for universal usability, accommodating users with varying levels of automation experience.

With the capability to dispense volumes ranging from 4nL to 30uL into any SBS format destination labware with exceptional precision, the I.DOT simplifies software operations for tasks like dispensing a constant volume, performing dilutions, normalizations, and pooling. Achieve a 1uL dead volume when dispensing reagents, allowing you to run more samples with the same reagent cost. Integrated volume verification provides insight into the actual volume dispensed in every operation. The instrument can dispense up to 384 source liquids per run, surprising you and your colleagues with its speed and precision daily.

If you want to know more, don’t hesitate to contact us! We’re more than happy to help you out.

Kind regards,
Ida, with the DISPENDIX marketing team

Hi Gareth,

I think it really depends on what you are transferring and at what volumes.
Positive displacement technology tends to range around 25nl-10ul on the high end for plate to plate transfers. In terms of number of missed wells I don’t think I would be able to give you an exact number but definitely less than 1-4%. These of course don’t have as bigger optimisation curve as they dont need liquid classes or aspiration and dispense curves etc.

If it is just reagent multi-dispense into a well you are looking at, then a large volume positive displacement dispenser would be best.

p.s. I work at SPT so if you want any specific information there let me know.
Russell

Hi Gareth,

Can I interest you in a call for giving you details about the BIOSPOT from BioFluidix?
I am the PM in the company and I could walk you through how we really use camera vision system to adjust drop volume (independently of liquid classes).

Best,

T

1 Like