Washers/dispensers

It’s definitely best equipped for just the ethanol wash steps. Since the plate is on a permanent magnet the beads can’t be adequately re-suspended even if you had your EB hooked up the C.Wash. Plus depending on how important your final concentration is, it’s means of dispensing is not super accurate. In my experience it needs to be paired with a more capable liquid handler to truly be effective.

1 Like

Seconding what @STomp said. The resuspension was the big thing in my hands, needing a shake or tipmix after and it was just easier to have that happen with the liquid handler the C.Wash is integrated with.

It’s a bit wasteful to have the C.Wash do it just because of the need to prime through the internal fluidics between each reagent swap. It’s not an astronomical volume but something to keep in mind for process development. The BlueWash does come with optional dedicated dispensers, but since the comb is not shared I’ve found that you have to be more mindful of clogs if the device has been sitting (and you’re using reagents that might crystalize or whatever).

That said, an on-deck magnet can help pull down the beads before it gets put onto the C.Wash. It can also help for downstream applications where you might not want bead carryover.