About the PyLabRobot Development category

This board is to discuss general PyLabRobot development.

Some handy links:

Note that this board is not for bug reports, please use GitHub Issues instead.

Hi there! My name is Michael and I’m a developer.
I’ve opened a couple of small PRs. I don’t have access to a liquid handling robot, but really want to learn more about these machines and how they work, which is why I would love to contribute.
If there is development work that can be picked up, I’m happy to do so. I saw for example that the nano pipettor commands are still empty for STAR are still empty. I’d be happy to help out with adding a lot of typing if you like, that would be a great way to get familiar with the code.

If you have something else in mind, I’d be happy to discuss.

Hi, thanks for your contributions so far, I’m excited to hear you are interested in continuing to contribute!

The nano pipettor commands are a little difficult because we are not in close contact with anybody who uses them, as far as I know.

Since you mentioned you do not have access to a robot, I think the simulator may be the most rewarding piece to work on. Since you mentioned that you want to get more familiar with the code, I think a good feature to add there is the ability to move plates. Adding this touches on nearly all layers of PLR, and it would be incredibly useful to have this functionality in the simulator. What do you think?

Also, how familiar are you with ReactJS?

Awesome, thanks for getting back to me.
I’d be happy to get the plates to be able to move.
I’m familiar with React, I’m by no means an expert but I’ve done some debugging and understand how hooks work. If it’s ok with you, I’m confident I can make things work, and try to find out about some best practices while doing so.

I have some time this Sunday to take a look and dig in! I imagine I will have some questions :slight_smile: I’ll make a ticket on GitHub and get started!

@rickwierenga I just wanted to pop by and say that I’m sorry I haven’t managed to put anything up yet. Things have turned really busy in my personal life and don’t have a lot of free time. I’m still planning on tackling this, just need to find a week where I have some time to do so.

All good, there is no rush. Please let me know if I can be of any help.