How to use tipcounting to calculate remaining tips numbers?

Hi there,
Could you please show me how to use tipcounting command? I would like to the program display the tip consuming and dynamic changes.
Thank u so much.

@chen - See screenshots below for a simple example, but it is pretty straightforward with the HSLTipCounting library that installs with VENUS as a default. This requires the use of a tipcounter, which is a string value typically assigned by the programmer. This provides an identifier/placeholder for a use by a data base to maintain tip sequence positions during and between runs.

There are two main functions that provide the most use:

Edit:
This is the function that provides access to the GUI where tip positions can be lassoed and manipulated. Provide a sequence and a tip counter parameter. If the tip counter value has not bee used before, it will be added to the database and will default to the full deck sequence of tip positions. If the tip counter does exist in the database already, then the function will read in the sequence based on the current tip counter data.

Based on the tip counter, you will be prompted with the tip positions as they were the last time the database was updated with a ā€˜Writeā€™ function. The GUI will allow you to select and deselect positions from the relevant sequence. The sequence will then be updated to reflect the positions chosen in the GUI.

Write:

This is the function that updates the database with the current state of the tip sequence at the time of function call. You will want to use this after manipulations to the tip sequence. If you donā€™t call this function after changes are made to the state of the sequence of interest, then the edit GUI will not update automatically between runs.

FYI - The HSLTipCounting library can be used to modify or maintain sequences of any labware type. It doesnā€™t require that the sequence labware needs to be defined for tips, its just the most commonly used scenario.

-Nick

3 Likes

Thank you so much, Nick. These really help me a lot. And I have programmed with tipcounting just now, yeah :melting_face:

1 Like

Iā€¦ uhā€¦ wow. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever tried using a non tip sequence with this library. Neat!

3 Likes

What does the sentence mean? The HSLtipcounting also can be used in a non-tip sequence?

You can use it to allow an operator to edit any sequence visually, not just the sequences associated with tips.

4 Likes

As a side note : In the HSLSeqLib you also have a SeqEdit command that allows you to achieve the same goal. Very handy to ask users for a graphical selection of the samples they want to process.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty cool. Never though about using it in that way.

It is my favorite ā€œhackā€ feature in VENUS for cherry picking and the like.

1 Like