New VENUS Software Release

Hi all,

I’m excited to share that the updated VENUS software has been released! It boasts a completely refreshed GUI for operators. Its benefits include new Run Control features for modern navigation, an overview of method progress, access to historic run data, and more!

See this link for a recorded webinar that covers the new updates
See this link for the release notes for VENUS 6.0.1

New instruments
New STAR instruments are shipping with this new version of VENUS this month. New STARv and VANTAGE are shipping with it in July.

Existing instruments
Existing STAR and VANTAGE instruments can be upgraded to the new software (requires a firmware upgrade). VENUS 6 is compatible with methods from previous VENUS/VoV versions.

Please reach out to your local sales and support team for guidance on how to upgrade your instrument.

OS Compatability
VENUS 6 was validated using Windows 10 and 11 Pro 64-bit setups

Computer Specifications

Minimum Required Computer Specifications

• Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit version LTSC 1809 or later
  • Processor: 64-bit multi-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • Memory: 8 GB of system memory
  • Graphics: Direct X 11 or later compatible graphics device
  • Storage: 40 GB of free space
  • Communication: 100BASE-TX ethernet NIC for connection to Instrument

Recommended Computer Specifications

• Operating System: Current Windows 10 64-bit version LTSC
  • Processor: Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16 GB of system memory
  • Graphics: 1 GB VRAM, Direct X 12 or later compatible graphics device
  • Storage: 250+ GB SSD with at least 40 GB of free space
  • Communication: 2 x 100BASE-TX ethernet NIC, 5+ USB ports
  • Display: 1920 x 1080 capacitive touch screen
  • Power: Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to avoid data loss

Minimum Virtual Machine Specifications

• Virtual Machine: Meets Minimum Computer Specifications above
  • Host: Meets Recommended Computer Specifications above
  • Number of Virtual Machines running in Host: 1
  • Recommended Virtualization Software: Microsoft Hyper-V or VMWare Workstation

I’ll use this thread to post any other pertinent updates regarding this new release.

Thank you!

-Eric

20 Likes

Thanks for the updates Eric!

Do you know if Hamilton is charging for the associated firmware upgrades to enable Venus6 (on STAR/let specifically)? If so, could it be bundled for free with the free CO-RE II channel upgrades that Hamilton is offering (which require a service engineer on-site anyway)?

Hi Eli,

Customers under service contract or warranty can get the new VENUS upgrade free of charge so long as it occurs during a scheduled visit or PM. So, a CO-RE II upgrade would be a good opportunity.

For customers not under contract or warranty, please reach out to your local sales team.

Thanks,

-Eric

1 Like

I really wish you guys would add a simple undo function with a hotkey in the editor. Would make mine and many others’ life a lot easier, and I’d prefer that over all the fancy GUI stuff

5 Likes

Hi anon,

Yes, this is an oft-requested feature request and it is included on the roadmap for future VENUS builds. My understanding is that it’s not an “easy” addition - it would have been prudent to have such a function from the onset.

That being said, I would like to have an undo as well!

For other suggestions, please check out and contribute to the VENUS feature request thread linked below!

https://forums.pylabrobot.org/t/venus-feature-requests/248

Thank you,

-Eric

3 Likes

Does this update include the new method editor that works with Vantage, Star, and nimbus platforms or is that coming later? I did not see that showcased in the webinar. If not, do we still need to use Instinct to train the track gripper?

Edit:
I did not see this specifically mentioned in the release notes either.

1 Like

I just went to a Hamilton Innovation Day. They’ve basically stopped Instinct and coalesced everything under Venus - there isn’t a new method editor.So I assume you’d have to do any training in there.

3 Likes

Yay! Thank you

Wow… RIP INSTINCT

One of the worst disasters in lab auto software history?

4 Likes

Not so much a disaster for the industry. For the product line… I’d say so. Seriously stifled adoption of the platform as was predicted by a number of people and advised against. Some companies just have to learn the hard way I suppose. Hopefully they have all of their current Vantage users in mind and will be providing backwards compatibility and firmware updates to support this. This looks like a very welcome improvement and I look forward to using it in the future.

4 Likes

I never used INSTINCT but Hamilton’s own folks in the field told me it was a disaster, what were the worst things about it?

2 Likes

If you are really interested send me a direct message. It is great to see they are making strides to rectify the situation.

4 Likes

Hi @BirdBare,

This release will be covering the STAR and VANTAGE platforms, with both having separate installers. VENUS 6 is not released for the NIMBUS. The installs must also exist on separate computers. The platform-agnostic software is still planned for the future, though.

While INSTINCT V is being phased out, this release of VENUS 6 does not have TrackGripper teaching functionality, so paths still need to be taught in INSTINCT V (v2.3) and exported. The TrackGripper teaching functionality is planned to be added as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Dan

5 Likes

Thanks for the clear update!

1 Like

I second that - was happy to see it die and can’t deny having at least a tiny bit to do with it.

1 Like

Totally agree. I was pretty excited about the Vantage when it first came out only to learn that it wasn’t backwards compatible and the limitations that came along with the new Instinct software. That’s when conversations about buying one went out the door.

1 Like

@EricSindelar_Hamilton is there a relase date for the new Venus API?

Hi Derek,

The API is included by default with the VENUS six installation. For integrators, please reach out to our product manager for software - I believe you have his contact info! :wink:

-Eric

2 Likes

Thanks @EricSindelar_Hamilton

@EricSindelar_Hamilton - in the Webinar you linked in your original announcement, Alvaro mentioned that NIMBUS support was lagging the initial release by about a month. Is that still accurate…and therefore NIMBUS might be supported by end of July? Or has that shifted and we shouldn’t expect NIMBUS support for substantially longer?

1 Like