Robotic Arms: xArm6, UR5e or PF400? - user experience & feedback from laboratories

Does anyone have experience with one of these robotic arms in their laboratory?

• xArm6 of Ufactory
  • UR5e of Universal Robots
  • PreciseFlex PF400

What is your feedback? Is it safe and “clean” enough to be used in a lab environment?
Is the arm always precise and reliable handle material or plates?

I appreciate any comment :slight_smile:

I can only comment on the Precise robots but they are everywhere in labs. Definitely safe and actually much cleaner than having humans move plates around. There’s probably nothing dirtier in a lab than us humans constantly breathing out bacteria and water droplets, not to mention shedding hair and skin cells.

Anybody care to take some guesses on how many PF robots are out there moving microtiter plates around? 5,000? 10,000? 20,000?

4 Likes

Would be interested to understand the cost aspect. Seems like the UFactory is the cheapest option, but the “compliant placement” on the Precise looks amazing.

2 Likes

Hi,

The robot arm is only one part of a platform’s ecosystem, and the final determination as to whether a particular arm is appropriate to the task will depend on many factors beyond the actual arm itself. e.g. is the labware being used is robot “friendly”, is the platform table/bench stable, are the instruments compatible for automation etc

Currently own 3xPF400 robots (1 is on a 2m rail) across two different automation platforms, and find them to be very reliable plate handing arms . Maintenance is simple and can be done by anyone with a little training and our only unintended downtime was due to a gripper controller board failure - to resolve, I sought support directly from the Precise Team, which was excellent.

Our arms have always been supplied with a platform by our 3rd party integrator, so I can’t comment on programming that; but once taught, I have found them to be super reliable in their plate handling.

Looking to invest into another platform, and would happily order another PF400 arm.

I have worked with Staubli, Denso, and Precise robots. We have looked at universal robots too, but i haven’t much experience with them just yet. the Precise robots offer a good price savings. they are touch safe, and reliable. Denso are hard to teach, ( teach pendant ), but very reliable, and fast. the Staubli and Denso need guarding. The precise is touch safe, guarding would be dependent on your safety team. all are clean . remember, robots are used in semiconductor manufacturing. these rooms are ultra clean. BLS2 is nothing to those clean rooms. Yes, these arms are always precise and reliable for handling plates, even automation reservoirs. ( you can adjust robot speed when needed to prevent spilling ). Hope this helps out.