Venus feature requests

Yes, you can either provide a liquid class as a single element of an array ( to be used by all channels), or you can provide an array of liquid classes where element LCs are applied individually to each channel. The following post provides a more detailed explanation:

https://forums.pylabrobot.org/t/tip-handling-for-widely-varying-volumes/496/13?u=nickhealy_hamilton

Thanks.

-Nick

2 Likes

Hi Nick,

Thanks for getting back to me. Please also add the change in search box (not sure how this is for Venus6), in Venus5, the search box unfolds all possible labware and only highlights the relevant ones, in which the unfolding icons ā€˜+ā€™ & ā€˜-ā€™ are blocked due too lack of space. In contrast to Venus4, which gave the right search results based on input.

Thanks!

Change the path where TRACE files are written

For the single step Pipetting steps it is. I actually have this implemented in a method that aspirates and dispenses with multiple different tip types at the same time.

Allow us to export all liquids used by a specific method in a txt/csv/xls file like this:
Line | Operation | Liquid
line 1 | Aspirate | Waterā€¦
line 50 | Aspirate | Serumā€¦

1 Like

Is there anywhere all of the new features in custom dialogs are explained? The programming guide I have has basically zero updates to the dialog section. I can guess at some of the features, especially the straightforward ones like aspect ratio, but sometimes the details arenā€™t what Iā€™d assume so Iā€™d like to make sure.

The VENUS version history has a summary of the updates to the Custom Dialog Editor:

• Included Template ā€˜Hamiltonā€™
  • Option to link external image
  • Default keep image aspect ratio
  • Define control tab index
  • Auto-close dialog after timeout
  • Multi-select controls
  • Align and distribute multiple controls
  • Option to set focus to specific control on startup
  • Startup dialog window location
  • Text input as password (mask input)
  • Text input automatic scrollbars
  • Use array values as in/out variable for checkboxes and radio buttons

Hereā€™s a slide highlighting some of these new features:

5 Likes

This is technically possible, but it requires modifying the registry so fair warning not to modify other items as there is a risk of messing up the installation!

You can change the directory by going into the Registry Editor and to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Phoenix\Directories\Logfilesā€‹

Double-click on the (Default) and then edit the path in the following window and select OK:

4 Likes

Is it possible to edit what is output standard on a logfile line? Right now its just:
2024-04-08 18:53:59> MicrolabĀ® STAR : Communication - progress; Connection to instrument is created.

Ideally weā€™d like to slap the method name, computer name, etc on each line.
CoolTESTMETHOD computerID42 UserName 2024-04-08 18:53:59> MicrolabĀ® STAR : Communication - progress; Connection to instrument is created.

Then push this data to a data lake for tracking purposes, then we could replicate what Tecan does right now with Introspect somewhat. Itā€™s frustrating to do right now as each logā€™s name is a unique identifier, but the lines inside the files are not unique making the parsing of the upload challenging.

Why is it challenging? All that information is stored either in the file name or the top of the file, why does it need to be repeated in each line?

1 Like

If you run multiple Stars at the same time you canā€™t just open each file and dump the contents, you have append the file name to each row to make it unique etc. Or do a look forward in the file grab the STARā€™s serial number then append it to each row. You can do this at multiple points after the file is created but it is extra data manipulation/pre-processing that Iā€™d rather not have to do.

For example if I were to dump 4 Starā€™s log files that all ran at the same time with no manipulation you would not be able to tell which command went to which Star! You have to do some pre-processing to the log files making each command unique.

I would like to be able to just do a simple query of star name and errors, with no data manipulation to the log files. Maybe Iā€™m just being picky haha

Sorry, I still donā€™t understand. The log file for each run will be unique, and in that file there is a robot identifier etc. Even if you have simultaneous runs, and you have configured the log files to be output into a network share or something, the log files themselves will be unique.

Are you doing this all on-line (as in as the file is being written) or something? What language are you doing this in?